Moving Advice: Delays/Cancellations
A huge number of house moves are delayed or cancelled due to funds not arriving on time or delays in obtaining keys/access to the new home or sales falling through.
The costs of these delays or cancellations can often amount to more than £500. Unfortunately, these problems only seem to be getting worse and are partly due to the modern practice of exchanging and completing on the same day.
To counteract these problems, we offer a waiver which for a moderate cost, protects against delay and cancellation charges.
Additionally, in order to minimise problems, we suggest all home movers take the following steps:
- For Sellers, appoint a solicitor and fill in the property information pages as soon as you market your property. For Buyers, check your mortgage affordability, suitability with a broker/lender before making an offer. Instruct solicitor/lender as early as possible and ensure solicitor is on the mortgage lenders panel.
- Impress upon your solicitor the importance of exchanging contracts as early as possible and at least one week before the move date. Where chains are involved it is important that each household in the chain takes similar steps. Consider setting up a WhatsApp group to keep all members of the chain up to date.
- Ensure funds are transferred to your solicitor as soon as possible after exchange and that the solicitors transfer the funds to the vendor’s solicitor the day before completion of the house sale.
- On moving day request your solicitor to phone you and the estate agent by 10:00am to let you know the keys can be released. Ring your solicitor if you have not heard anything by 10:30am.
- Ensure that completion is set for 12:30pm on the day of the move at the latest to enable access to your new home for that time. Similarly, you should be ready to vacate your own home by this time.
- Finally, try to get all parties in the chain to take the steps as outlined above.
Call us now for a free survey
0800 294 6644